We've all been resistant to stepping out in faith. We've all let fear hold us back.
On this blog you'll find real life revelations and stories from an imperfect woman, wife, mother, and friend who lives with a daily desire to experience healing for where I've missed the mark, joy where I've felt lonely, to be fulfilled where I've felt without, and ultimately live the abundant and secure life that Christ has called me to. I want to live fearlessly for my God...trust in Him fully...and do what he's asked me without hesitation . I know I'm not alone and my hope is we can walk together, overcome our strongholds, and embrace a life unafraid as we walk with our Lord.


Friday, June 17, 2016

When The World Is Dark...Shine!

Recently the news of our nation has been sickening and heart wrenching. Shootings and terrorist attacks, so full of hate, have burdened the souls of our world. The darkness seems more permeating than ever and it can be really hard to look past those realities and still see love and hope. In conjunction with the reality of national happenings, in recent weeks I have picked up a part-time serving job in a restaurant and have truly been shocked by some of the people that I am now surrounded by. Their hearts seem so full of anger and I have quickly realized the bubble that my world can sometimes be. I’ve found that it is so hard for me to believe that people can treat others with such distaste. Darkness, at times, seems to fill our worlds more heavily than we could ever wish for. To me, my instant reaction to these surroundings is “how can I fix it?” What can we do to make this life a better place to live in? We’re called to be world changers, right?

We could definitely just ignore the issues and the hate. Isn’t it much easier to just remain naive and see the problems too big for us to tackle? We believe that if we just don’t allow it to affect us then we have done our part. But when I read a certain scripture this week I realized, I can’t just ignore it. But I also found relief in seeing that changing it doesn’t always mean I have to do something grand or outside of my allowance for time and effort, like start a non-profit, a bible study, etc. Although these are good things and it would be great for someone to do these things if they felt called, it’s not always for all of us.

In reading Isaiah 60 this week, I saw that I must not ignore the hate and I must move forward mindfully putting effort into what the word of God has called me to do in a place of darkness. I am not just to hide in a corner and not allow it to touch me, I am suppose to step in the midst and…..

“ARISE...SHINE for, your light has come, and the Glory of the Lord rises upon you.
See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples BUT the Lord rises upon you! And His glory appears over you! Nations will come to your light and Kings to the brightness of your dawn.”

We often read straight through this verse but this time I saw it as a key. I saw it as the key to penetrating darkness. The word of God doesn’t say, go join or start programs and initiatives. Like I previously mentioned, sometimes we are called to go an extra step and when we are it is such a special calling and an honor to have specific direction to serve God in a certain area. But when we find ourselves surrounded in darkness and no specific direction, we still have a responsibility, we still hold a key to penetrate it, we still have the answer to restoring light to the world around us.

So what do I do when I am surrounded by negativity at work? What do we do when the news is so depressing and the reality of the evil in our nation is more tangible than ever?

We SHINE! We may not be able to change the people around us through strategy but we can change them simply by making sure our light is on. We must fill our hearts with the Lord, allowing His glory to be written in our hearts and appear on our faces. Take time before we step out of houses and into the world to be filled with the “everlasting light”, so then, our “sun will never set again.”

Darkness can wear on you and if you don’t take the time to turn on your light you will be wearing the same depression, evil, anger, and negativity you hate. But to continue shining no matter what is surrounding you is to know that you serve a GOOD God, a God that will redeem and save, a God that will restore and comfort the brokenhearted.

You also don't live coward in the corner of fear hoping the darkness doesn't get to you. You, full of the light of Christ, in full faith of His all empowering Love, walk straight into the darkness...fearless!! When we truly believe Christ can change the hearts of the people around us we become unafraid to carry Him wherever we go.

Immersing myself in a different atmosphere of work, around people who do not know the love of Christ, people who talk down to you, make fun of you, slander you and others, and don’t seem to think twice about it….I will not fear. I will not be made uncomfortable by the darkness. I will walk with confidence and I will overflow with love from the inside out.

God’s light will shine through me no matter what environment I am in, I just have to be intentional of making sure I am full and without fear. This world can be scary. In fact, disheartening, is not a word that can even reach the detriment of the evil people are willing to submit to but we have a call and it is doable. So sons and daughters of Christ, fill up, there is nothing to fear and you have nothing to prove! They will know He is savior by your love, and your light will carry His love where nothing else can reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment